Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Am Legend


Before I get started, let me say that 1) I did not read the book, so there will not be any comparisons between the book and the movie, 2) I did not see the movie from 1997, so those comparisons will not be made, and 3) I will not reveal any major plot details about the movie...concentrating instead on other aspects of the movie. This review will reveal minor plot details.

I'm not exactly sure how one of the only survivors of this plague just happens to be Dr Neville (played by Will Smith). Dr Neville is a military scientist whose responsibility lies in finding a cure for a human induced plague. Now, he gives the statistics...90 percent of all humans who came in contact with the plague died from it outright. Nine percent of the humans who came in contact with the plague became something quite different from human, feasting on the one percent who were immune. I think those statistics are pretty close to the ones he quoted in the movie. He could not have been immune because of a serum, because he spends the movie trying to find the cure...that means that, as fate would have it, he was one of the one percent who was immune (not statistically impossible), and managed to keep from getting himself eaten. Okay, I'll buy off on it, I like Sci-Fi. But it does require a little bit of humoring.

I'm going to start with the special effects, because they were done well. Anyone familiar with New York City (Manhattan) will be pleasantly surprised to see it convincingly transformed into a human-less world. I don't know exactly how they did it, but they did a phenomenal job. They incorporated many known landmarks, and managed to keep them familiar, but without habitation, and signs of aging. I guess in this age of technology, that may not have been a difficult feat, but I have to say that they did a good job. I bought off on it being New York, five years in the future. The creatures are very convincing, and are scary without being completely inhuman. The intellect of these creatures comes through in some of the scenes.

Read More About I Am Legend

No comments: