Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Fountain


While deciding which movie to watch tonight, I came across The Fountain, which I do not remember seeing previews for. This movie was written and directed by Darren Aronofsky who was well known for two previous films, Pi and Requiem For A Dream. I saw Pi, but didn’t care very much for that movie. I heard a lot of good reviews regarding Requiem For A Dream but have not seen that movie yet. I recognized Hugh Jackman’s name on the credits, so I figured I would check this movie out. I had no idea that I had missed one of the best movies of 2006. This is definitely not a Mass Appeal movie, but I enjoyed it immensely. Note: This movie will reveal only minor details regarding the plot.

This movie was well written. It is filled with parallels, symbolism and excellent dialogue. The pace of the movie is intentionally slow, but not boring for one who is paying attention. There is a lot going on in this movie, bouncing back and forth through time. The parallels between the events in different eras are sometimes subtle. The symbolism is often written into the dialogue, but can also be found in the richly choreographed visual effects. I can say that I was not a fan of Darren Aronofsky prior to watching this film. I will be watching for his next one, though.

This movie is a science fiction adventure that takes place in three different time periods. The movie tells a single story that emerges simultaneous in the three eras. The stories do not all end the same. The plot covers a lot of deep issues regarding life and death and afterlife. Ultimately it is about separation, reunion and finally communion.

Read More About Fountain

No comments: